Monday, January 21, 2008

Beginning our Journey

Our journey really began about 2 years ago when we found out getting pregnant would be difficult for us. Nothing makes you want a child more than being told you can't have one, right?? We began talking about our options and from the beginning, adoption was on top of our list - but we had no idea where to start!

This past year, we've really been serious about wanting to expand our family. We considered fertility and were still thinking about adoption. It always amazes me how God uses everyday people in our lives to lead us toward His plan. Three or 4 women I know were telling me I needed to go to a particular doctor in the area. My new doctor told me about this 'Adoptive Parenting' class available at Kettering Hospital. So, Nick and I decided to try it out. After the first night, we made the decision to pursue adoption and not even consider fertility treatments.

From there, things have happened very quickly! Here's a brief timeline:
  • 10/8/07 - first night of Adoptive Parenting class
  • 10/25/07 - initial meeting with agency
  • 11/18/07 - meet with social worker to complete home study, finish Life Book (scrapbook about us and our families)
  • 11/25/07 - home study finished and submitted to agency
  • 12/11/07 - call from agency about a possible match
  • 1/4/08 - first meeting with our birthmother after a few phone calls

Yeah, things don't normally happen so quickly. It's funny, when we started the process, I was adamant that we have our home study and life books finished by December 1. There was really no reason for me to feel this way, except that December is busy for Nick at the restaurant and I thought it was either that or wait until after Christmas. Now, I know the date and the push came from God. It had to be that way for our birthmother to pick us!

No comments: